Has going green gone too far? The 2012 Ford Focus–launching early next year–is set to be decked out in recycled blue jeans in Ford’s latest effort to maximize eco-friendly materials.
The automotive company has a history of experimenting with eco-friendly materials–they’ve even used soy foam cushions before–and the recycled denim will be used in carpet-backing and sound absorption materials for “interior quietness” according to their press release.
I am not sure how I feel about having someones old jeans built into my car…..
Some might not be that appealing?
Then again, some do have a bit more re-use appeal!
A professor at Umea University in northern Sweden had his laptop stolen but was completely surprised when the thief mailed him back the computer’s contents on a memory stick.
The professor left his bag in the stairwell of his apartment complex while he went to the laundry room. When he came back the bag and all of its contents â€” including his wallet, datebook and laptop were gone.
After reporting the theft to police, the professor returned to his apartment to find his bag and its contents â€” except for the laptop â€” back at the stairwell.
A week later he received an envelope in the mail containing a USB memory stick that had all the files and documents from his laptop, which would have taken the culprit hours to copy and paste.
The laptop, as well as the professor’s library card, has yet to be returned.Â My guess is he knew the person that stole it!
– Now I love WalMart, but not this much!! A man was arrested in Sarasota, Fla., after he allegedly stole a copy of Sports Illustrated from the shelf and pleasured himself in the store’s toy section.
– Here is one from the files of dumb criminals.Â An Australian man has been charged after he sold a rental car for just under $20,000. Police said the man recently rented a luxury car from a company at the Melbourne International Airport, then used fraudulent documents to sell it.
– More dumb criminals from across the world.Â A Paris man who registered 55 children by 55 different mothers faces up to 10 years in jail and fines for suspected paternity fraud and for helping to obtain residency under false pretenses, police said on Friday.
– A Utah man is suing a group of would-be property owners for $38 quadrillion. Considering there is only about $24 trillion in circulation around the entire world at any given time, that could prove a difficult number to collect.Â What a waste of courts time, I hope they hit him with costs.
– In Barrie, ON a pizza pie with tomato sauce, oregano and cheese was on the menu at a spectacle which attracted a prize-winning eater – and eventual champ – from the United States, another from Mississauga and 10 others, including a local couple. In 12 minutes Kobayashi downed 10 pizzas sliced into 40 pieces.Â Ummm, I love pizza but that is gross!!
– A student from Brazil entered a Florida bar Tuesday morning, peed in two cups, then placed them on the bar, police say.Â OK, this one is even more gross, what a freak’in idiot!
The coffee is highly prized for its smooth flavor and bitterless aftertaste, sometimes fetching well over $200 a pound online.Â Indonesia’s top Islamic body declared Tuesday that Muslims can drink civet coffee â€” the world’s most expensive coffee, which is extracted from the dung of civet cats.
A preacher recently suggested the beverage might not be “halal” â€” or religiously approved â€” because its provenance makes it unclean. But after a long discussion Tuesday, the influential Indonesian Ulema Council said that the coffee, known locally as Kopi Luwak, could be consumed as long as the beans were washed.
Kopi Luwak, which takes it name from the Indonesian word for civets, is made from hard beans that have been eaten by the nocturnal critters and then fermented in their stomachs before being pooped out and roasted. Civet cats are mongoose-like animals.
In Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim nation, Kopi Luwak is produced in the main Java island, Sumatra and Sulawesi. It is also found under different names elsewhere in Southeast Asia. Only 1,000 pounds are said to be produced annually worldwide.
The Ulema Council has often issued fatwas, or edicts, including several controversial rulings against smoking and yoga. Its edicts are not legally binding, but many devout Muslims abide by them. I will stick to Tim Horton’s and Starbucks, thanks.
It seems not, they have now moved on to burning cash….really! Sweden’s Feminist party roasted a pile of bank notes worth 100,000 Swedish crowns ($13,010) on Tuesday in a stunt designed to highlight wage disparities between men and women ahead of a national election.
Feminist party leader Gudrun Schyman pulled handfuls of cash from a plastic bag and threw them onto a smoking barbecue as a small crowd leaned in to take pictures. It took about 25 minutes to burn the bag’s contents.
“We are doing this for fair wages,” she told a crowd of some 75 people on the island of Gotland, off the southeast coast of Sweden, where political parties are gathered for a week of campaigning.
The stunt, using money donated by an advertising agency, was designed to illustrate how women in Sweden “lose” 100,000 crowns every minute because their wages are lower than men’s, she said.
“This is a lot of money for a lot of people and it is a lot of money for me but in a political campaign it is a drop in the ocean,” Schyman added.
Swedes go to the polls on September 19 and the feminist party — backed by celebrity supporters including Jane Fonda and ABBA’s Benny Andersson — hopes to win its first seat in parliament since it was founded in 2005.
Andersson donated 1 million crowns to the party last year to fund its campaign for election to the European parliament.
In Sweden’s national election in 2006, the feminist party won less than one percent of the vote. Parties need at least four percent to earn a seat in the national assembly. Catch the video at http://www.feministisktinitiativ.se/
Are credit cards good for anything other than screwing us over? Not really. But they can be made into some pretty cool art. This guy was so fed up with Visa and MasterCard he decided to turn them into the â€œZero Balanceâ€ frogâ€¦
This thing below was made by a college student, Lori Merhige, using a whole bunch of unwanted credit cards. By the looks of it, apparently American Express must be a very unwanted card!
And yet one more example of an unwanted American Express. Jared Kelley found a new use for those stupid promotional credit cards we all get in the mail. He turned an American Express Blue card into a work of artâ€¦
I guess credit cards are good for more than just screwing us over.
Here are a couple of epic fail tattoos