Posts filed under 'Odd Celebs'
Canada’s Transportation Minister was quoted as saying; “Sure, talking on a cell phone while driving is dangerous but there are many other activities occurring that are just as dangerous if not more-so.” “For example the other day I was almost side-swiped by a man that was completely distracted while picking his nose, and I don’t mean just a nose scratch – he was in up to his knuckle”.
Toronto, Canada – December 5, 2011
For those of you not following the news over in the Great White North I will fill you in a little bit. Last year the ‘distracted driving’ law came into effect, where-as you are not able to talk on a cell phone while driving without the risk of incurring a fine of up to $500. It seems one Canadian politician wants to take it one step further!
Jim Bradlley (Ontario’s transportation minister) made this statement last Thursday after telling reporters he was proud of the new legislation he helped draft. As they walked away he mentioned his plans to make this law much more encompassing in the near future. He was quoted as saying; “Sure, talking on a cell phone while driving is dangerous but there are many other activities occurring during driving that are just as dangerous if not more-so.” “For example the other day I was almost side-swiped by a man that was completely distracted while picking his nose, and I don’t mean just a nose scratch – he was in up to his knuckle”.
He continued, “There has been testing done that has shown that picking your nose while driving is even more dangerous than using a cell phone because of the high occurrences of physical injury while conducting this type of behavior.” ” I would like to see all types of distractions lead to a hefty fine, my advice for this particular offense would be an $850 fine.”
At least one politician finds those comments worrying. “Everyone should realize there is no place this government will not go intruding into private lives,” Conservative MPP Randy Hillier said. He went on to say, “what is next? No eating broccoli with dinner due to the possibility of passing of gas into the atmosphere thereby increasing global warming?”
Experts have questioned the effectiveness of distracted driving laws. In other jurisdictions they have not always changed drivers’ habits. After an initial reduction in New York, for example, cellphone use was reportedly back to pre-ban rates within one year.
The insurance industry says the new law is a good first step in making distracted driving socially unacceptable. In fact Bill Crespen of Walden’s Insurance says, “personally we would like to see all distractions result in large fines, whether it is picking your nose, applying make-up or talking on a cell phone – they can all potentially kill you”.
December 5th, 2011
This name may not be immediately familiar, but you’d probably recognize Yarrow’s voice if he sang “Puff, the Magic Dragon.” As one-third of the folk outfit Peter, Paul and Mary, Yarrow dominated the music and protest scenes of the 1960s.
Yarrow had legions of young fans, but unfortunately, some were a bit too young. In 1970 he was convicted of taking “improper liberties” with a 14-year-old fan, an error for which he spent three months in jail. On his last day in office, though, Jimmy Carter granted Yarrow a pardon.
Yarrow, for his part, admitted he made a huge mistake and later contritely said, “It was an era of real indiscretion and mistakes by categorically male performers. I was one of them. I got nailed. I was wrong. I’m sorry for it.” I would bet my pay cheque that it was not the first time Yarrow took liberties with a minor.
February 1st, 2009
The Onion pulls another great story out of it’s creative hat.
George W. Bush, 43rd president of the United States of America, passed away painlessly in his sleep Monday night, White House sources confirmed. The 62-year-old Bush was reportedly discovered lying unresponsive in his bed by first lady Laura Bush, a gentle smile still on his lips. “It was as though he knew it was his time to go,” said longtime family physician Dr. Harold Ditmas, who pronounced the president dead of natural causes at 7:24 a.m. Plans for Bush’s funeral have been postponed indefinitely following an unexpected incident in which the president’s corpse was sucked through an Air Force One jet engine
January 27th, 2009
Darkly tanned, more than a little dirty and hungry, two men who spent three months crossing the Pacific on a raft made of plastic bottles and an abandon airplane fuslage (seen in image) to raise awareness of ocean debris finally stepped onto dry land. “We made it,” hollered Marcus Eriksen to a crowd of about two dozen gathered at Ala Wai Harbor on Wednesday. “Where’s the food?” Friends greeted Eriksen and fellow eco-mariner Joel Paschal with lei, fresh food and beer to celebrate the end of their nearly 4,200-kilometre voyage on what they call the JUNK raft. “We got used to eating fish and peanut butter,” said Eriksen, who celebrated his 41st birthday at sea.
The pair left Long Beach, Calif., on June 1. Their nine-metre vessel had a deck of salvaged sailboat masts, six pontoons filled with 15,000 plastic bottles and a cabin made from the fuselage of a Cessna airplane. While at sea they realized they were traveling less than a kilometre per hour and it would take them much longer to reach Hawaii than the previously anticipated six weeks. “We had to go to half rations for awhile,” said Paschal, 32.
Without a backup plan, the two used a satellite phone to get in touch with Roz Savage, who was crossing the Pacific solo in a rowboat and happened to be in the same area at the time.
Savage, who was heading from San Francisco to Hawaii, was in dire need of water after both her potable water makers broke. When the three met up, Savage got onboard the raft, Paschal speared a mahimahi and the three dined together. Before parting, the men gave Savage a water maker and she gave them some of her extra food. “We exchanged the necessities of life,” Eriksen said. “And that kept us going.”
Food wasn’t the only problem the men encountered on their trip. The raft, which can only sail down wind, had a hard time leaving the Long Beach area. The raft encountered storms that tore it apart during the first two weeks. Some of the bottles that were supposed to help the raft stay afloat started to sink. Eriksen and Paschal had to anchor the raft 160 kilometres off shore and rebuild it before setting sail again.
The voyage was part of Algalita Marine Research Foundation’s project called, “JUNK.” The third person of the group, who didn’t make the trip, was Anna Cummins, Eriksen’s fiancee. Cummins took care of land support, blogs and fundraising. She said the goal of the trip was to creatively raise awareness about plastic debris and pollution in the ocean, the same goal Savage pursued in her trek across the Pacific.
The three want “single-use plastics” to be banned, saying they’re wasteful and usually end up in the ocean. “Recycling is one solution, but it’s just a small part of the puzzle,” Paschal said. Each day the men posted online videos and blogs of their trip and kept in touch with Cummins. They also spent two to three hours a day maintaining and repairing the raft.
The men said a variety of marine life gathered under the raft throughout the trip. One day, said Paschal, they caught a fish after watching it grow for five weeks. They were going to eat it, but when they cut it open they found its stomach was full of plastic confetti. The team hopes to visit schools around Oahu and share their experiences, and is working on a documentary film about the voyage to raise public awareness of the danger of plastics. Sounds like a very interesting adventure.
September 1st, 2008
A competitive eater who has already triumphed at a famous hot dog eating contest swallowed 103 small hamburgers in 8 minutes Sunday to take home $10,000. Joey Chestnut, 23, of San Jose, Calif., surpassed the previous record of 97 Krystal burgers — 21/2 inches square — held by Japan’s Takeru Kobayashi, set at last year’s Krystal Square Off.
Chestnut beat 12 other contestants. Kobayashi, who won all previous Krystal Hamburger Eating Championships, didn’t compete this year because of lingering jaw pain from having a wisdom tooth extracted in June. The 29-year-old Kobayashi received chiropractic treatment before losing his hot-dog-eating belt in the Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July tussle in New York. None of these competitive eaters are fat, go figure?
November 28th, 2007
It has been reported the Mr. Luo of Chong Qing city in China has not washed his hair for the past 26 years.
“After many failed attempts using regular shampoo, they spent a total of 5 hours and 3 packs of laundry detergent to wash him clean.”
Personally I just don’t think this is possible, the guy would have had head-lice or worse and been forced to clean his hair at some point. What do you think?
March 12th, 2007
The State department’s annual human rights report criticizes Kazakhstan for taking action against the satirical Web site of Sacha Baron Cohen, creator of the fictional Kazakh journalist in the film “Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.”
They charged that he was denied a web address from them and they also planted propoganda against him in chat room, monitored his email and purposely slowed down his website for their users.
March 7th, 2007